P. 180

    The obituary that was published after all the victims were identified
Aura Herzog's injuries were severe and life-threatening. She remained in the hospital for about two months and many scars remained on her head as a result of fragments.
The rescue operation continued for hours. Even after the casualties were treated and many were sent to the hospitals, squads of searchers continued to go room by room in the big building – and there were hundreds of rooms. The searchers were looking for casualties who might previously been out of contact, and performed an initial estimate of the damages.
All the search and rescue forces of Jewish Jerusalem rushed to the building. The rescue unit of the British Combat Engineering Corp offered its assistance, but was politely declined. Relations with the British, whose governance over the Land of Israel was due to end in two months, were then at a low point, and those responsible on the site believed that they had sufficient forces to handle all the issues.
Entities and institutions published condemnations against those who planned and carried out the bombing. The Jewish National Council published this statement:
Those killed in the bombing of the National Institutions Building join the fallen among our guards and soldiers. The terror of this foul deed, which was intended to hurt the apple of our eye [hinting to the centrality of the building] – shall not deter us. Loathing for the lowly murderers, condolences to the houses of mourning and strength to all our hearts – for a fearless stand.
The Committee of the Jewish Community in Jerusalem also published an announcement that was a call for a firm stand, despite the disaster:
The soul of Hebrew Jerusalem was not shaken by the sound of the explosion heard throughout Jerusalem, which had this time struck at the very heart of the Hebrew government over the entire land. [...] We can say to every man in Jerusalem: We shall neither be frightened nor deterred!

   178   179   180   181   182